It began life as an April Fool’s joke, but the Hyperkin SmartBoy is very real. It’s a bolt-on module that effectively transforms your Samsung Galaxy S8 into a fully functional Nintendo Game Boy, complete with support for original Game Boy and Game Boy Color cartridges and a set of authentic-feeling button inputs.
The unit connects to the phone’s USB Type-C connector and comes with a dedicated application that ‘dumps’ the game data from the cartridge, so it can be read by your emulator of choice. The SmartBoy doesn’t require any batteries, and while it can potentially support any Android phone with USB Type-C, it’s part of the approved Samsung accessory programme and has been designed with the Korean company’s phones in mind.
- Compatible with PAL/NTSC cartridges
- Plays GB and GBC colour games
- Classic-style tactile button set
- Designed for Samsung’s S8 line and up (other Android device compatability may vary)
- Phone sizes: 5.2 – 6 inches
- Upscales to phones resolution
- USB Type-C port
- Does not require batteries
* The smart boy is compatible with other apps and games including GBA apps from Google Play. Configuration for such apps may apply.